Saturday, October 15, 2016

Managing Future Income Risk

Currently being a senior, I have started to think about managing my money and how I spend it as I will be graduating soon. Since I am yet to find a full time job, there remains a high level of uncertainty regarding my future and what income I may get, if any at all. As an international student, there are other concerns I face, such as sending money back home to India, and the possibility of earning a significantly reduced salary if I have to work in my home country. (the starting salary and standard of living is much-much less in India compared to the United States.

Some of the decisions I have made thus far have been to hopefully better manage my future income risk. When I initially joined the University, I was an undeclared major in the division of general studies (DGS) and was hoping to either major in Finance or Architecture, as those two fields were where my passion was. However, during my first year I learnt that Architecture majors have a tough time finding a job. The unemployment rate for architecture has been steadily increasing and to attain the complete architecture degree, one requires around 4 years of additional study and mentorship training after competing the bachelor’s degree. Finance majors also, on average have a higher starting salary than Architecture majors and all these factors combined led to pursue Finance. Thus to get accepted into the college of business and study Finance, I may a decision that will hopefully be better and carries less risk for my future income.

The average salary for a Finance graduate from the University of Illinois is around $55,000-$60,000. In order to hopefully get a higher salary or better chance at landing the job, I had interned at various financial services companies during my three summer terms. Again, the decision to intern rather than spend the summer doing other activities was to reduce my future income risk, by trying to get a leg up in terms of experience compared to other students.

Yes, I have accumulated a certain amount of debt to pay form my tuition costs and living expenses. My parents have been able to finance a part of my college tuition, but the remainder is through student loans. I have worked at different places on campus, such as in the student-dining hall in my first year and as lab assistant during my junior year to earn money and reduce the debt owed. Although these jobs did not pay to well, it was a way to reduce my current expenses in college and thus save money for the long term.

With the above being said, I have taken many of decisions that although are detrimental to reducing my future risk, were choices to enjoy in the here and now. Every time I indulge in activities that are just for fun. For example, for our last thanksgiving in college we are deciding to go out of campus and spend the week at Las Vegas.


Yes, I have an older brother who graduated from Michigan State University. He was majoring in hospitality business and although got a well paying job in the Michigan area, decided to pursue his passion for music. This came as a huge shock to all of us, because pursuing a career in music has a lot of risk financially. Earning a steady and stable income takes longer initially and more so in this career path. Finding his niche in the music industry itself took a year and now that he’s narrowed down his path he can manage his priorities better.
To remain financially independent my brother has taken to recording voiceovers for various commercials.
On average he also performs twice a month at the Jazz clubs and lounges in and around New Delhi through which he can live a comfortable lifestyle.
However to maintain an even more comfortable standard of living he wishes to move to the commercial capital of the country in Bombay where the Indian equivalent of Hollywood is located, where he would find more opportunities to build a better platform for himself as a professional singer.
One positive I take back from his life is to follow your passion. Future income risks can be managed with a passionate drive backed by a plan along each step of the way.

3 comments:

  1. I found this post bouncing around a little bit more than I would like, simply to follow what you are saying. So I will ask some questions that take a few steps backwards.

    (1) You said nothing about visa status. I know that many international students want to stay in the U.S. both for cultural reasons and because of the earnings differential that you mentioned. But many have to return home first because of visa issues. (And then some of them don't return to the U.S.) While I am not trying to pry into your affairs, it would seem that is an important issue to resolve in your future income determination.

    (2) What about longer term if you are able to secure a job in the U.S. Would the plan be to make some money in the U.S. and then return to India. Or is it possible that you would stay in the U.S. permanently.

    (3) You didn't say how close you were with your brother and if being near him when you graduate matters to you or not. I gather that you won't be a musician, so you won't follow him in that way. But what about living close enough that you can spend time with each other on a regular basis.

    Now on a different remark you made, I can understand wanting some fun and adventure during vacation time, but I don't get Las Vegas as the answer for that, especially if you don't already have a large bankroll. Gambling as entertainment doesn't make sense to me. Seeing good theater, listening to great music, or hanging out at a beach and catching rays, those things make sense. Of course you do what you want here but if you are comparatively cash poor, Las Vegas seems an odd destination to me. (I've never been there.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Yes you are correct that as international student we have a few difficulties in staying in the US due to our visa. As a non-STEM (Science, technology, engineering math) major we get a period of 12 months during which we are legally allowed to stay and work in the United States. To stay for longer period of time the company or agency that employs us, has to sponsor a working visa. Since this sponsorship process is difficult and a bit costly, many firms do not hire international students. Even if the company sponsors a visa, there is a lottery system in place to issue the said visas. Every year, there is a limited number of work visas given by the US government, but the number of people greatly exceeds that limit. Thus it is on a lottery basis that the visas are issued. Meaning that after you manage to get a job and have the company sponsor you, it is dependent on luck if you get the visa or not. In terms of managing this risk, there is not too much that can be done, expect be prepared for alternative options in case the visa doesn’t come through. The other options would be to seek work in my home country, do post-graduate studies, or work at an educational institution where the limit for work visas is greater.

      If I manage to get a job in the US, I would want to work here for a couple of years and then go back to India. I do not see myself staying in the US permanently due to all my family being in India, plus culturally I like India and would want to settle there. In relation to managing income risk, after a few years of experience, it would be easier to land a better and higher level job in India. Thus, I would want to make some money, gain experience and then move back to India.

      I am very close with my brother and family in general. Being a recent graduate, I wont be limited to being in the same geographic location as my family, as I think getting a good job and experience is more important. Plus initially, staying away from family will hopefully let me grow as an individual and become more independent. But for the longer term, being close to my brother and family might play a more significant role in deciding my future job.

      I wouldn’t say I am cash poor, but do need to manage my finances very carefully. Las Vegas is a trip my friends and I have wanted to do for a long time and thus decided to go there. As we are 21 in our senior year, we plan on going for Cirqu De Solele and parties rather than gambling.

      Delete
  2. I've listened to many stories of how people ended up in the occupation they are currently in. One reoccurring topic seems to be the choice between doing what they love and doing what they feel like is financially stable. Often times our interests don't align with how much money we wish to make. Even as a junior in Economics I feel pretty tied down to the path I'm going down whether or not I feel like I will enjoy it in the end. I find your brother's choice to change his life around to pursue his passion very courageous and I wish him the best.

    You're not alone in the mentality of feeling like indulging a bit every now and then financially. Similar to professor Arvan a trip to Las Vegas most likely wouldn't be my preference, but I understand that different people enjoy different things.

    I found it interesting that your two choices of majors were Finance and Architecture. Not that a person can't have two passions, but they just seem so different to me. In the end it seems like you chose the less "risky" of the two if the statistics hold true. There are definitely successful architects majors and successful finance majors. I think perhaps if someone tries very hard and with a little bit of luck passions can be fostered into comfortable careers.

    ReplyDelete